Dog License FAQs

Information on animal control and animal welfare may be found at:

All you have to do is bring a copy of your up to date rabies certificate (by law the City must have a copy of it on file) and also a copy of your spaying/neutering certificate if applicable, to the Clerk/Treasurer's Office. You will then be issued a license tag. We start registering dogs in January for the new year. If you are purchasing a license between January 2nd and April 1st, you will need a rabies certificate with an expiration date of April 1st or after for the current licensing year. To license your dog by mail, send the up to date rabies certificate, a check for applicable fees, and a self addressed stamped envelope to: City of Burlington, Attn: Dog Licenses, 149 Church St., Burlington, VT 05401.

  • Spayed/Neutered  >  $27.00*
  • Unspayed/Unneutered  >  $47.00*
  • Service Dog   >  License Fee Waived


            * After April 1st Fees for non-service dogs increase $2.00 to $29/$49

Please bring your pooper scoopers with you when you go for walks so it doesn't end up on the bottom of someone’s shoes. (Burl. Ordinance 5-4 & 17) Cleaning up after your dog, also helps to keep Lake Champlain clean. Read more about how dog droppings affect the Lake on the "Rethink Runoff" campaign website. (Burl. Ordinance 5 – 13 & 14)

First Offense in a 12-month period - $50-$100.00 Second Offense in a 12-month period - $100–$200.00 Third and subsequent offense in a 12-month period- $200-$500

The first thing to do is talk to your neighbor about the situation. If you do not get a satisfactory response from your neighbor, you can call the Police Department at 658-2700. (Burlington Ordinance 5-4)

Generally two things can happen – you may receive a municipal ticket and depending on the circumstances, your dog may be impounded.

The fee to release a dog from impound is $75.00   ** (Burl. Ordinance 5-24 & 25)

There is also a $10.00 a day boarding fee. No dog will be released until it is properly registered.

A fee must be paid to the Clerk/Treasurer’s Office before a dog may be released from the pound.

**If a dog is impounded 3 or more times in a 12-month period, the case may be referred to the Animal Control Committee of the Police Commission. The Committee will hold a hearing to decide what, if any, action should be taken to protect the public. (Burl. Ordinance 5-27)

State Law Requires Collars & Tags On All Dogs. Every Dog Must Be Licensed In The Town It Resides In (VSA 20-3581).