What if I'm looking for a death certificate of someone who passed away in another town?

If the person passed away in another town, you must contact the town in which the person passed away to receive a copy of the certificate. If you're unsure of what town they passed away, you may also contact the State of Vermont to obtain any death record of someone who passed away in any town in Vermont; you can contact them at (802) 828-3286 for vital records over 5 years or (802) 863-7275 within 5 years of the event.