What information must we provide to get a marriage license?

Besides basic information about yourselves (name, towns of residence, places, and dates of birth), you must also provide your parent’s names, including your mother’s birth (maiden) names, and their places of birth. (Although not necessary, copies of your birth certificate can supply most of this information). Vermont law requires that at least one of you must be present to sign the license in front of a town clerk. You must bring a State or Federal ID with you to obtain the license (this includes a driver’s license, non-driver’s license, passport, etc.). You will also be asked to provide the number of previous marriages and civil unions, and how and when they ended. This information is confidential and does not become part of the marriage certificate.