Who can perform my wedding ceremony?

Your marriage can be performed by: a Supreme Court justice, a superior court judge, a district judge, justice of the peace, or an ordained or licensed member of the clergy residing in Vermont. If the officiate does not reside in Vermont, or is not recognized by the State of Vermont, they must file for a permit from a Probate Court in the county where the marriage will take place. In addition, any person over the age of 18 may register with the Secretary of State to become a temporary officiant to a marriage. For information to be a temporary officiant, please visit the Secretary of States website at http://www.sec.state.vt.us or call (802) 828-2148.