Due to construction, public access to the City of Burlington Land Records vault will be extremely limited on Monday, July 22 and Tuesday, July 23. Records can be accessed online by visiting: https://i2f.uslandrecords.com/VT/Burlington/D/Default.aspx
If you need immediate access to records not available online, please contact the Clerk/Treasurer’s Office Customer Service at (802) 865-7000, option 1, then option 0.

Department of Planning & Zoning

Construction Permits

All projects that require a Zoning Permit will require a construction permit. Contact the Department of Public Works Inspection Services Division (ISD), located at 645 Pine Street (802-863-9094), as soon as possible to find out what will be required for your construction permit(s). All applications that require a zoning permit also require a Building, Electrical, Plumbing and/or Mechanical permit.

You will not be able to get a construction permit until the zoning permit is valid, so use this time to gather the information that they may need. A valid zoning permit is one that you have signed and picked up at the Planning and Zoning office. See Picking Up Your Zoning Permit for more information.

Once you have your valid Zoning Permit in hand, you will need to go to ISD for any Building, Plumbing, Electrical or other trades permits that may be required for your project:

  • The Building Inspector will need verification that you have received your zoning permit first so bring the signed zoning permit with you.
  • This portion of the City's permitting process typically involves one or more inspections of the construction and electrical/plumbing installation after you have submitted a complete application describing your project.

Project Changes: Projects can change during the construction phase. Any changes from the approved zoning plans and elevations (regardless of whether they have been required by a City Inspector) will require an amendment to the original or a new zoning permit before proceeding to the Certificate of Occupancy. If the change is minor, this can sometimes be done in the form of an "As-Built Plan" approved by the Zoning Administrator. Contact the Department of Planning and Zoning to find out how any changes during construction will be processed in anticipation of Certificate of Occupancy issuance. See Project Completion for more information.