Due to construction, public access to the City of Burlington Land Records vault will be extremely limited on Monday, July 22 and Tuesday, July 23. Records can be accessed online by visiting: https://i2f.uslandrecords.com/VT/Burlington/D/Default.aspx
If you need immediate access to records not available online, please contact the Clerk/Treasurer’s Office Customer Service at (802) 865-7000, option 1, then option 0.

Department of Planning & Zoning

The Permit Process - Super Simplified

The following is a quick list of the basic steps that a typical project requiring a Zoning Permit will need to follow. We also have a simplified Flowchart that illustrates the process from beginning to end.

  1. Come to the Dept. of Planning and Zoning, apply for a Zoning Permit and pay the applicable Fee. Be sure to post the "Z-Card" public notice where it can easily be seen from the street.
  2. The permit application is processed by P&Z staff. Simple projects can be acted on by staff and usually only take a few days depending on their workload. More complex projects have to be reviewed by the Development Review Board and can several weeks.
  3. Once an application has been approved, there is a 15 day appeal period required by state law before you can actually get your permit.
  4. After the appeal period ends, you will need to come to the Dept. of Planning & Zoning to sign and pick up your Zoning Permit - be sure you have completed any pre-release permit conditions and you will need to pay any outstanding Fees.
  5. With your Zoning Permit in-hand, you are ready to apply for your Construction Permit (permits for building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, fire suppression, curb cuts, and excavation ) at the Dept of Public Works - Inspection Services and pay the applicable fees.
  6. With your Construction Permit in-hand, you can finally get to work!
  7. During the project you can expect one or more construction permit inspections while you are doing the job. If you find you need to make changes that are different from what's been approved on your Zoning Permit, consult with the Planning staff first so you understand how this may effect your permit.
  8. When you are almost done with the work you can request a final inspection to close out your Construction permit.
  9. Once your Construction Permit has been closed-out and all of the work is complete, you are ready to request a Final Unified Certificate of Occupancy (UCO) from the Code Enforcement Office and pay the applicable fees. To stay "Super Simplified", make sure you have completed everything in accordance with your Zoning Permit. Small changes can be approved by Planning staff with an "as-built" plan. Bigger changes however may require a whole new zoning permit so plan ahead. If there are still a few things that need to get done but you are otherwise ready to begin using the space you can request a temporary UCO.
  10. File UCO in your records, and enjoy the result of all your hard work!

Please remember this is the MOST simplified process. Depending on the project, it may take longer, cost more, or have more restrictions than outlined above. For the best information, visit the appropriate office and speak with the staff about what to expect for YOUR SPECIFIC project.